Yes, yes, I am no longer 23, but it’s strange how this one blog article can get so much reaction and attention at my brother’s college. How would I know that? I’m strangely FB friends with quite a lot of people there, and I’ve never even set foot in that part of the US before! Yes, I’m weirdly over-friendly, let’s move on!
But yes, when my lil bro re- posted, 23 Things To Do Instead Of Getting Engaged Before You’re 23, I had quite a giggle at the different responses. I do find it retarded, but hey! The girl’s hilarious (albeit a bit simple-minded) but she has a good point!
Yes, before you post it, I’ve seen that “My First Blog: The Result of a Close-Minded 23 Year Old” response too. (Honestly, while I also agree with her, I felt more as if she was a tad bit to arrogant, judgmental and more close-minded than the first.)
I’ve nothing against marriage, I’d like to be married one day (though I’ll most likely die alone, but that’s a post for another time), but to a certain extent, this girl (the first blogger) made too much sense to fully disagree! I’m for marriage, but not at 23! Even if you’ve found your one true love by then, there’s still more to life out there that you should find out individually and grow. You’re 23! Were you the same person as you were when you were 20? My guess is, No! So chances are, you will change and grow (hopefully for the better), when you’re 25, 26, or 30! And really, don’t you want to be a more ‘mature’ and emotionally/financially ready when you pledge the rest of your lifetime to that someone who you will wake up next to for the next 75 years?
Before I get off topic, why am I writing this response? Well, I’d like to tweak the first one just a tad bit (or maybe a tad lot– the list is rather immature) and challenge my brother to do the good ideas on the first list. *NOTE* I’m copying and pasting her words in italics, you’ll be able to figure out which words are mine. So lil bro, this one’s for you:
Get a passport. Okay, so since you got your passport when you were like 2, why not add 5 new countries to that before your 23rd birthday…
2. Find your “thing.” It’ll be the first of many!
Make out with a stranger. Don’t you dare disrespect a girl like that! We did not raise you that way! Instead, do something nice for a stranger/lady (ex: carry her groceries to her car, pay for someone’s lay-away!)
4. Adopt a pet. A pet rock is more ideal! Or a plastic cockroach is fine too! 😉
5. Start a band. Or just master an instrument, whichever one is the most feasible…
6. Make a cake. Make a second cake. Have your cake and eat it too. And have another cheesecake party!!!
7. Get a tattoo. It’s more permanent than a marriage. True! And when it gets all wrinkly, it’s a great metaphorical reminder of how nothing stays youthful and beautiful forever! 🙂
8. Explore a new religion. Grow deeper in your relationship with God
9. Start a small business.
10.Cut your hair. Or let it grow. Or shave your head!
11. Date two people at once and see how long it takes to blow up in your face. I will Rapunzel you if you do! I don’t own a skillet, but we have tons of frying pans for me to choose from! Instead, take your girlfriends (female friends) out for dinner and pay for that!
12. Build something with your hands.
13. Accomplish a Pinterest project. Do you even have a pinterest? Get one! It’s amazing!
14. Join the Peace Corps. You’re not American, so you can’t. But volunteer full-time with a mission group or NGO for a whole month in a foreign country that you’ve never been to!
15. Disappoint your parents. Don’t even try! Us kids already do so without even trying. So instead, why not do something extra special for them!
16. Watch GIRLS, over and over again… I’m sure she meant the show, but if it makes you happy, watch all the pretty girls you like! Respectfully, of course!
17. Eat a jar of Nutella in one sitting… and die of diabetes!? Either bake something with a whole jar of Nutella or share a whole jar of Nutella with a best friend!
18. Make strangers feel uncomfortable in public places. Or just hang out with me and I can help you check this one off.
19. Sign up for CrossFit. Or just go to the gym like you always do
20. Hangout naked in front of a window. No, just no… Swimming with whale sharks on the other hand, sounds like a brilliant idea!
21. Write your feelings down in a blog. Look! You can cross this off now!
22. Be selfish. You’re already selfish! Do something selfless a dozen times over from now until your 23rd birthday! That would be much more challenging!
23. Come with me to the Philippines
for Chinese New Year. And eat Balut!!!
So lil bro, let me know if you accept this challenge! It’s a few weeks before you turn 21, you have 2 years! This honestly is a list of things that are do-able (Don’t go swimming with whale sharks without me though! I need to check that off my list too!) and fun! Hopefully, they can help you grow as an individual and really, as MY number 8 says, grow deeper in your relation ship with God!
Lots of love!